Winston-Salem State's Michael Scarbrough breaks away from North Carolina A&T defenders in last season's game. (Photo courtesy of WSSU Athletics)
Winston-Salem State's 2008 football season is still two months away, but there are alot of questions that need to be answered by then.
1. Where will the offense come from? The Rams lost their two biggest playmakers last year in Jed Bines and Monte Purvis. Purvis led the team in all passing categories and was second in rushing to Bines, who finished with 925 yards.
2. Who will start at QB? Jarrett Dunston and Justin Sherrod are the only two candidates with experience behind the center at the college level, but the Ram's could also go with true freshman Branden Williams. Redshirt Freshman Tienne Jefferson is also thought to be in the mix.
3. Will the defense hold up? The defense took heavy hits, most notably DE William Hayes, LB Thad Griffin and DB Nate Biggs.
4. Can Brandon McRae come back at full-strength? McRae led the Rams in rushing as a redshirt freshman in '06, but injured his knee last season. If he's 100 percent, the Rams rushing game is set.
5. Can the kicking game be counted on? Placekicker Matt Mitchell hit a game-winning field goal early last season as a freshman, and then went through a slump and made just one more field goal the rest of the way.